Eudunda Golf Club introduces Corona Safe Golf at the JAK Golf 2020 and Tim Knight finally wins the Jack Memorial Best off the Stick.
A nice fine morning greeted players at the Eudunda Golf Club on the 8th November 2020 for the club’s 21st JAK Golf Day.
Like many 21’st this years event was one to be remembered as being brave, friendly and unique due mainly to the World Wide pandemic COVID-19 which had shut down much of the World with sickness, death and misery.
South Australia had been in a lucky position, compared to the Northern Hemisphere and even Victoria, having few Covid cases and things much more in control, which in turn allowed our event to go ahead with special precautions.
The morning started off with enrollments, some relaxing chats and then the customary briefing. A respectful one minute silence as Captain Bistro called all to order and as everyone bowed their heads names of recent departed friends of Eudunda and JAK Golf Day were called out. Those remembered were Mary Mader, Matt Garnett, Brett Warner, Adolfo De Angelis and Phil Timmis (Snr).
The club’s latest Club Link Junior Golfer Seth Hodgson was asked to hit the first official ball to start the proceedings and was not fazed at all by the task.
What a day, some great shots, powerful hitting, some very ordinary ones creating lengthy searches for balls, even what is now claimed as a COVID Hole-in-one’, great chats, friendship and sportsmanship abounded for the day.
A feature of playing the JAK or indeed following the event either as a supporter or photographer is to travel the ‘Memorial Way’, the avenue of trees planted in memory of loved ones, who have passed on. It is a time to remember our loved ones, and feel closer to home, Eudunda.
Fittingly ‘The Hamley Hackers’ were first home for the day, having a chance to sit and relax feeling they had won on the day, and they did indeed win the Eudunda Open event.
Congratulations to all the trophy winners on the day and because of the COVID restrictions other club competitions were added to the days play making it an extra special golfing extravaganza.
Jack Memorial Best off the Stick: Winner, Tim Knight
Runner up, Cruise Mathews
EGC Handicap: Winner: Cruise Matthews
Runner Up: Malcolm Bell
Eudunda Open: Winners: The Hamley Hackers Captain Rob Howe, Darren â€œDongaâ€ Ongley Tony Osborne, and Wayne White.
Florence Knight Plate Ladies Winner: Deb Bell
Edgar Zander Legacy Shield: Winners Sam, Sam, Dan and Connor
JAK Golf Father and Son: Winner: Seth and John Hodgson
Novelty event winners
Leigh Maynard Long Drive 1St and 10th: Cruise Mathews
Longest Drive 2nd 11th: Cruise Matthews
Longest Drive 5th 14th: Tim Knight
Longest Drive 8th 17th: Connor Buckby
Nearest to the Pin in 2 – 4th & 13th: Gino Capogreco and Ian Knight
Nearest to the Pin in 2 â€“ 9th & 18th: Tim Knight
Nearest to the Pin â€“ 7th & 16th: Connor Brown (hitting the Covid Dome in One)
Nearest to the Pin â€“ 6th & 15th: Wayne White
Phil, Seth, Nicole, Elizabeth, Peter, Sam, Lynley, Bistro, Deb, Malcolm, Gary, Cruise, Ian and Gino.
Special Thank you Pennants were presented to the clubs team of willing workers:
Captain Bistro Cheney, Phil Timmis, Seth and John Hodgson, Nicole Rosenzweig, Elizabeth Young, The Herriman Family Peter, Jenny and Toby, Bill Knight, Leon Peech, Bev Chapman, Geoff Ashby, Des Pfeiffer, Fred Kelsh.
President Lynley Ireland said,
“We decided to hold off on the JAK Golf 2020 for as long as we could due to the advent of the Corona virus pandemic.Â The maintenance team have done a great job setting up a Covid safe course by playing to the cone rather than the usual cup. Taking away the most Corona susceptible used items on a slag course such as the rake and the pin allowing all players to witness what we call Corona golf.
“It was decided to have only one day of golf at the 21st JAK 2020 as opposed to the usual Golfing weekend to eliminate any risk of infection to our players, visitors and the team of willing workers.
“I would like to thanks the following people who have made golf possible during the year and seeing the 21st JAK Golf event happen in 2020 without a hitch.”
- Thank to my very committed executive committee along with the vast number of volunteers.
- Secretary Tim for his continual commitment to the JAK Golf and Captain Bistro for his knowledge and organization skills.
- Jenny Herriman our Covid Marshal and also Barb Button (Community Engagement Officer for the Regional Council of Goyder) for advice on Covid requirements and keeping us Safe.
- Nicole Rosenzweig for her wonderful support with the catering pickup and food preparation for the JAK Golf event on the Sunday.
- Elizabeth Young and Nicole Rosenzweig for the well-organized work on the Day prepping and serving an amazing lunch and BBQ Tea.
- Phil Timmis (Jnr) and Seth Hodgson for their course assistance on the Friday and Saturday.
- The pickup crews on Friday of Bev, Geoff, Bistro and Leon with the buggies and Merchandise from Sports Centre in Adelaide. Along with the quick thinking of Fred Kelsh and assisting on the return of the buggies on Monday.
- Sunday Club Captains, Markers, Rulings, Presentations, etc by both Bill Knight and Captain Bistro. A mighty effort.
- Captain Bistro and Jenny Herriman for their running of the raffles and Bistro for organizing and donating of many prizes.
- Sir John Franklin Hotel for Donation of Dinner vouches for raffles. Much appreciated Rodney, Kylie, Phil & Donna – welcome new sponsors.
- Des Pfeiffer for cooking the brilliant BBQ Tea.
- Menzel’s Meats for supplying the meat and meat raffles which were very popular.
- The Goyder Councilâ€™s Bow and Leigh for their wonderful mowing efforts last week making the course even more playable.
- John and Mitch Kingston for the donation of the Potatoes and Carrots from Pinnaroo the home of the Potato in South Australia.
- David from the Light Hotel for supplying the drinks.
- The Herriman Family of Peter, Jenny, and Toby for taking the photos as the event unfolded and showing the dayâ€™s golf on the big screen soon after it happened.
- Sports Centre, AESS staff members Art Izzy, Screen Print Craig, Trophies Jon and Embroidery Lauren, well played to all involved and thank you very much from all at the Eudunda Golf Club.
- Martin Maynard for the Leigh Maynard long drive trophy, still a very sort after award.
- AJ Prior, for the generous meat donation.
- Dale and Dianne from Eyre St Maintenance crew for their cone work.
- Geoff Ashby for his contribution once again in course management, coaching and being the official registrar at the JAK Golf Sunday Morning.
- Golf Car Solutions: Jordan and Zac for providing the Golf Buggies.
- Last but not least I would like to thank Sports Centres and AESS Ian and Adam Knight for once again donating the Pennants, Merchandise, Trophies, Promotion material and making the 21st JAK Golf Day an event to remember and a pleasure to take part.
You generous support is of course very much appreciated by the Eudunda Golf Club, its Committee and Members and also the players on the day.
“We look forward to seeing everyone back again next year for the 22nd JAK Golf Day/ Weekend at the Eudunda Golf Club next year.”
Eudunda Golf Club President 2020
You will find more photos on the Eudunda Golf Club Facebook page (please be aware you will need a Facebook account and be signed in to get the best experience viewing the page).